Thursday, January 31, 2008

Soda Sobriety


I have decided to give up soda for one month. I added a Soda Sobriety counter. If you care to see how long its been since my last Mountain Dew, you can click on the link and a popup will let you know.


I am especially excited about this because I read that if you give up one soda per day you will lose 15 pounds in one year. Since I am up to about three cans a day, I figure that if I give up soda altogether for 3 years I will end up weighing only 15 pounds. This seems a little extreme, so I have decided to take it just one month at a time.


I also want to add that I have lots of support from my family in this endeavor. Sadie (our adorable jack russell mix) has agreed not to have a single soda for the next month. And, the children are willing to polish off the last three cans of Mountain Dew left in the fridge so there will be no temptations.


I will let you know how I do.

5 comments:

Dyana said...

That is awesome, JOY! I really don't like soda....maybe a lemonade here & a rootbeer once in a blue moon but, for some reason, that is not my weakness....movie theater popcorn & CHOCOLATE gets the best of me.

Melanie said...

You can do it!! I understand weaknesses....my weaknesses are pastries and fried foods. But, I've been working on those weaknesses.

This will be extremely helpful to motivate you or extremely irritating, but here are a couple of articles detailing the effects of too much soda consumption. Maybe it will help you to never look at that Mountain Dew the same way again! (And you know I used to love myself a good Mountain Dew. But it has not had me in its grips for years, thank heavens!) Whatever you do, don't go on diet soda - that's even worse for you.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/115671/why_drinking_soda_can_destroy_your.html
http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/38973.html
http://www.helium.com/tm/682489/affect-bodythe-consumption-carbonated

Annette Rose said...

Hey there! Ok.. first off! Good for you. Soda is not my thing, but heaven knows I have plenty of them... Starting with... I don't know where I would start... Sugar, white flour, chocolate...you name it... But I am working on it. Down 3 pounds this week.
Ok second of all... You've been tagged! Go to my blog and see what you have to do!

Dawn said...

Hey Joy!!! THis is Dawn Davis (McEwan, now) do you remember me from high school? Anyways I saw your blog on Annettes and now I am totally adding you to mine! I love finding old friends. On the soda note....I am totally addicted to Diet Coke, so I feel your pain (:
p.s. I saw a pic of you and you TOTALLY look the same!! HOw do you do it?

Joy said...

Hi Dawn! It is great to hear from you! I will check out your blog. (I am totally addicted to this whole blog thing). Thanks for saying I look the same. Other than the 25 pounds I have gained since high school and the wrinkles I am developing around my eyes...you might be right :)!