Saturday, December 13, 2008

Its a good thing we love our dogs so much...



About a week and a half ago we put up our Christmas tree. We have always had a real tree, but this year Beau's sister decided to buy a new tree from the Festival of Trees (a charitable event here in Elko where companies donate beautifully decorated trees and the community has a silent auction for them) so she gave us their old fake tree. It is a very pretty one and we had fun putting it together and decorating it. I am amazed that you really can't tell the difference.
Anyway, it was all decorated and a few days later both of the dogs crawled under it. The whole thing snapped and fell over. Ornaments and lights were all over the floor and tangled up. I was in the middle of all my finals projects and Beau was working nights so it lay there for about three days. Finally, yesterday, we found the problem, bought a replacement part (I was amazed they had them for sale) and completely redecorated the tree.
The pictures above are some of our favorite ornaments. When Megan was a baby we started a tradition of buying each of the kids a new ornament every year. They are generally matching if not the very same. If they don't already have the year we find a creative way of putting it on the ornament. I love the cloth ornaments...I usually use DMC floss to put the year on those. Our tree is getting awfully crowded now, but we love it. Then as the kids move out they will take their years and years worth of ornaments with them.
Does anyone else do something like that?
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Melanie said...

We do this. My mom did it for us when we were younger and I had a box of ornaments to take with me when I left the house. Now I do it with my own kids. They usually are similar, but very rarely the same ornament. Our tree is also a hodge podge of their ornaments, plus my own from when I was a kid, but I love it. It represents a lot of memories.

Sorry you had to deal with the mess from the dogs. Almost like having little babies that won't stop touching the tree. See, you actually do have "five kids" just like me! ;)

Joy said...

Oooh! Maybe I do!

Amy said...

We got our first fake tree,too. I am loving it!

ps that is one reason not to have dogs!

Joy said...

Yes, it is nice to know you won't have to deal with the dead pine needle mess at the end, isn't it?

And, NO that is not nearly good enough reason not to have dogs :)

Hansen Family said...

Hey Joy- how are you? It is fun to catch up with you and your family. Where are you moving to?

Dawn said...

We have our tree full of memories! Every year we get an ordament from vacations we have taken or for whatever the kids are into like reading or a bike or my little pony! The kids LOVE it and I love remembering all the good times over the years!

Kareen Bailey said...

We buy an ornament every year too -but, without me doing any fancy sewing - if the year is not on it, it is usually written with a sharpie on the bottom! :)

Joy said...

What Kareen??? With all the tie making we did in high school you're not a fancy sewer! I find that hard to believe! :)