Thursday, March 6, 2008

HOT DOG!

So, I know I have whined about this in previous posts, but I have new direction and am feeling the need to share. For some reason yesterday I googled something about caloric intake and was led to the following yahoo answer:

"Energy In/Energy Out:

If you eat 1,200 calories per day and o
ne pound equals 3,500 calories,
to lose one pound per day, you need to burn your food intake plus your one pound of fat 1,200 (intake) + 3,500 (Outtake) = 4,700 Calories

You must burn at least 4,700 Calories everyday to loose one pound at least (per day). It is very easy to go up and beyond 4,700 calories each day. (Aside by Joy: Heck no! It is not easy to burn 4700 calories per day!) Best way to do this is to track your progress on a calorie counter monitor watch. If you do it by the numbers you can lose the weight. It is just a matter of changing the way you think about weight loss. Once you start wearing your calorie counter you can see the numbers increase and you fill find yourself doing extra things in your day, like tapping your foot while waiting at the light in your car, chewing gum, singing out loud and so on onto of your workout routines. You begin to see that everything you do in your day contributes to the overall numbers needed to loose that pound. (Aside by Joy: I don't know what kind of high tech calorie counter this girl found...I think most base the calories burned on number of steps you take).


Water Intake:
To determine if you are getting enough water use this simple formula. Take your weight, for example 150 pounds and divide by 2. Take your answer which is 75 lbs and change it to ounces, in this case 75 ounces. That is how many ounces of water you need a day."


That was a little long winded (I even took out some parts-if you saw the original post it was VERY long...I just cut out more than half). But, for some reason, this has hit home for me. Many times I have tried to track my caloric intake. After a few days it seems pointless too time consuming with no real payoff, so I stop. But the idea of tracking calories out really intrigued me. I have to reiterate that unless you are the either on the Biggest Loser and are being endlessly hounded by a trainer 8-10 hours a day or are the energizer bunny, 4700 calories is not an easy goal for one day.

However, creating a deficit of 1000-1500 calories is totally doable! I have looked up some basic numbers (very general-but they work to get a basic idea of calories burned). Sleeping 8 hours, your body's processes burn approx. 550 calories. Being sedentary (watching TV, reading a book, etc.) you burn approximately 100 calories per hour. So, if you sleep 8 plus 16 hours worth of your body simply functioning you are already up to about 2000 calories burned.

I bought a calorie counting (with pedometer) watch today. So, (I know I may be way off on this...but please allow me to be in my delirium if you know better) I figure that I will add the number of calories counted on my calorie counter (which I think are just tallied from number of steps walked) to the 2000 calories burned just being a person, then subtract the (hopefully) minimal number of calories eaten and the pounds will just melt away. Right?

By the way, I have been snacking on the yummy edamame suggested by Dawn and I am in love! Thanks Dawn!

11 comments:

Melanie said...

That was very interesting to me to learn about caloric intake. I have never really studied very much about it, I've always kind of wondered how you figure all that out. I've studied the glycemic index and how certain foods spike your insulin level too quickly, which quickly converts to fat. After my middle child was born, Jer and I started eating a big bowl of ice cream every night before bed and we quickly gained 10 pounds each. We figured out it was the ice cream at night (we hadn't changed anything else and we knew having sugar late at night is especially bad). We went completely off sugar for a month and both dropped that 10 pounds right off. I was amazed at how much effect sugar can have on the body. Which is probably why these last stubborn pounds aren't coming off, because I haven't given up sugar again yet....but I think I'm almost ready....

Dawn said...

YEA!!! I am glad that you are hooked too! I had no idea that you burn so many calories when you sleep. I use a website if I want to keep track of my calories or just find out how much a certain food is I go to www.sparkpeople.com and it tells you how much protien, carbs and fat are in EVERY food! Good luck let us know how many steps you are taking on your pediometer!

Annette Rose said...

so jacob just bought something like that. I can't remember the name. I too recently decided to put it to the test. I've worn a heart rate monitor for a full day, and if I work out for an hour to 1 1/2 hrs I will burn 5000 cal by the end of the day. So, i must be consuming more then 1500 cal. becuz i am not losing a pound a day. I try to stay at 1500, cuz I've done the math too, and it doesn't work for me. So, i am trying to track calories more carefully. Keep us posted!

Joy said...

Net, You really typically burn 5000 calories a day?? Wow! What kind of monitor do you have? It sounds much more sensitive than the one I bought.

I know I have made this into a gross oversimplification. Hormones, thyroid, matabolism, and even the amount of muscle you have in your body makes a big difference in how many calories a person burns every hour.

For, me, watching the in vs. out, for some reason, has motivated me more than I am typically motivated to watch my calorie intake. So, for that reason alone I hope it will do me some good :)

Joy said...

Mel, I haven't ever read about glycemic index. (Probably the one diet issue I haven't explored :) I will have to read more about that. I think that may be an issue for Beau because he loves candy! He (OK, I) keep him stocked with a whole slew of candy in his night table drawer. Awful! I know. I'm an enabler.

Joy said...

Hi Dawn, I have been to sparkpeople. I love how it will tell you what vitamins, minerals, etc. you are getting enough of and what you might want to supplement. I should go back and use it. Thanks!

Kareen Bailey said...

Eating less calories than you burn sounds a lot easier than it is. I swear I would lose ten pounds if I could stop eating off my kid's plates. (My worst habit.)

Joy said...

That is totally one of my worst habits, too, Kareen! When I'm not being conscious about what I'm putting in my mouth I think I would be really surprised by how much I really eat! I was just about to go run...but its snowing here! (More excuses, I know :)

Melanie said...

Here's the main website talking about the glycemic index. http://www.glycemicindex.com/

I like that edamame stuff too. I first tried it about a year ago and it makes a nice thing to go for when you start getting the munchies.

I know, breaking the late night sugar habit is really hard, but it works. I need to start doing it again. My problem is eating chocolate while watching TV or movies at night. I found this website about eating at night and I think it's really good.
http://elswellness.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/night-time-eating-yes-or-no/

Dawn said...

I am glad I am not the only 30 year old who is trying to get into shape (: Why was it so much easier 10 years ago?!!!

Anonymous said...

your site is funy.please link to my site.

http://diet-try-again.blogspot.com/