Monday, March 10, 2008

No More Spiders the Size of Baseballs

I wanted to share how happy I am to be out of Arkansas for 3 months now! Yay! Of course there are a few things we miss (yes, we miss you Misty). But, there are more reasons that make me want to do cartwheels, I am so happy. Topping that list is that I have not seen a single spider in three months! Hallelujah! I know they will appear eventually here in Nevada, but in neither the quantity nor the gigantic size that they come out in Arkansas.

I bet we found at least 10-12 turantula-like spiders IN our house during the year we lived there. One was a wolf spider that carries their babies on their backs. It was in the middle of our living room one night. I was walking through and almost stepped on it. I freaked and thousands of tiny babies jumped off mamas back and started running in all directions. Somehow, through the screaming I worked up enough brains to grab 2 cans of bug spray from under the kitchen sink (one for me and one for Beau). I think we near emptied those cans until nothing was moving. Our house may have been a toxic site for a few weeks, but those spiders were dead! That was one of the most traumatizing experieces of my life!

The other day I saw a little fly and it dawned on me that it was the first bug I'd seen since I left the South! I could almost look it at fondly!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

ARGH!!!! That's the stuff my nightmares are made of! How did you not pass out with fright? You were very fortunate to have Beau with you. And I did NOT know wolf spiders carry their babies on their backs. How gross is that? You have sealed the deal for me. I am NEVER moving to Arkansas or anywhere in the south - EVER! It's bad enough living here out in sagebrush country with lots of mice and black widows and the biggest beetles you've ever seen and these weird bugs that I can't handle that look like a cross between a spider and a grasshopper. But at least we don't have those big huge mammoth sized spiders! EEEEWWWWW!

Dawn said...

I was sick to my stomach reading your blog! That is my reason now for not visiting Nathan in AK!

DeAynne said...

So, maybe you were trying to warn all of us about moving to Arkansas. Yuck!! I hope that you don't find too many of those yucky things in Nevada. I know that they are there, but maybe they have heard about you.... talk to you soon.

Annette Rose said...

K... my head itches from all of the spider talk. YUCK! I hate creepy crawly things. They seriously gross me out. I am glad you do not have to deal with them anymore!

Dyana said...

WHERE ARE YOU, JOY?
We haven't heard from you in 2 weeks.
Miss you! Hope all is well at your house.
Love, Dy