Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tomatoes and Zucchini




I have finally, after probably, 10 years of attempts, managed to grow real live vegetables. I have tried from seeds, which never works for me because I forget about them and they get enveloped with weeds, and I have bought the cute little starts from the store which always seem to be forgotten too. My biggest problem with them is forgetting to water. This year, though, I was determined. The poor plants didn't get watered the whole week we were in Washington. I wrote a note for Beau about the dogs and his doctor's appointment and the other little things that needed to be remembered while I was gone and forgot to ask him to water my tomatoes and zucchini. They miraculously survived and are growing actual edible produce. I can't believe it!
By the way, Melanie, the tomatoes from your garden were awesome! And, everyone loved the blueberries too! Val used them the next morning to make the yummiest pancakes ever! He used 1/2 Bisquick and 1/2 oatmeal a little sugar (they use Splenda), a little bit of cinnamon and some blueberries. They were awesome! My kids have been asking me to make them since we got home...I haven't yet been able to stomach paying $4 for 6 oz. of shrivelled up blueberries that you can get around here though. I wonder if frozen would work??
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the produce! We haven't had blueberries in our house since then and I think we're all in withdrawals! I need to figure out how to try Val's pancakes - they sound great!

Jeremy just harvested some yellow tomatoes today. Have you seen yellow tomatoes? I didn't know they existed, but they taste just like ripe red ones!

Joy said...

Mmmm. They sound yummy!

Dawn said...

WOW your garden looks better than mine! I must have a brown thumb!

Annette Rose said...

Way to go on the garden Joy! Maybe next year will be my year, since I've only been thinking about it for 9 years! Hahaha!

Kareen Bailey said...

I'm very jealous! I'm a moocher of others gardens! I LOVE fresh tomatoes - I tell myself every year I will plant my own.

megalonis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Giffords said...

You go girl!!