Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This is how RUMORS start...



Here are a few pictures of Obama here in Elko. I love that secret service guy in the last one.

Anyway, this is a very small town, so, like the airport furniture story below, any tidbit if interesting information spreads quickly. My speech professor told us a story about the last time Obama was here in Elko. (Yes, he's been here 3 times, can you believe it?) Apparently, he and his staff had arranged to have lunch catered by a cute little restaurant here called The Flying Fish. They serve sushi and other shi-shi fare. Anyway, the story I heard was that at the last minute, employees of the restaurant were racing around town trying to find square plates to serve Obama his sushi on (we only have about 3 stores that would carry such items AND they are all within about a 2 mile radius...so raced around town should be thought of in that limited context). The funniest part to me was that they finally found the plates at the dollar store! What a riot! Anyway, I think what was being implied by the person telling the story is that Obama or a member of his staff had requested the square plates, sending the restaurant in a frantic tizzy. This is why I named this post the way I did. I hope that it was just a last minute fabulous idea that the employees had at the Flying Fish..."wouldn't it be nice to serve the man that could be the next president of the United States, his sushi on square plates (from the dollar store)" and not that the "rockstar" demanded square plates (from the dollar store). However it came down, I love that story.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Hey a little clip of when obama when he was in Elko was on our local news last night!! Funny~

Melanie said...

Great pictures! How come presidential candidates don't come to the Tri-Cities? We're bigger than Elko.....

Could it be because Nevada is a swing state?

Joy said...

I am sure that is the reason. Elko seems to be a favorite place for candidates to come and say, "See, I care about rural America, I'm in Elko!"

This is Obama's third time here. He had a town hall type meeting in the high school gym where he took questions from people last time.

Cheney came in '04. I want Sarah Palin to come...wouldn't that be a riot?