Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mohawk


That last post was as much torture to write as I'm sure it was to read, so on a much lighter note, my son has a new Mohawk. He is so excited! And, before you say I'm crazy, there is a story.
In Arkansas, at the beginning of the past school year, Chase was getting into all kinds of trouble. I had a phone conversation with his teacher regarding his behavior almost every week and he made pretty close friends with the principal because he was in his office so much. I was really at my wits end and terrified of what his behavior would be like when we moved yet again. At the same time he was begging me for a Mohawk. So I struck a deal thinking he would a) not remember that we had made such a deal and/or b) not be able to adhere to the strict demands of the deal. But I was wrong. The deal was that if he never once gets in trouble with his new teacher and never goes to the Principal's office in his new school that he could have a Mohawk for the summer.
Near the end of the school year I talked with his new teacher and she could not understand how on earth such a model student could have been such a nuisance for his previous teacher just a few months before. Absolutely no behavior problems at all. So we have a punk-haired boy for the next few months.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh! I was just going to tell you how to do the blog roll! Smart girl it is easy to do if you know that it is there! WOW! What a turn around! I would give the kid anything he wanted to be able to completely stay out of trouble! Way to go and the punk hair looks cute on him (:

Melanie said...

What a great example of picking your battles. Let him choose whatever hairstyle if he stays out of trouble...great idea!

JN Designs said...

Don't you just love kids selective hearing? They always hear what benefits them. I am glad he did better with a new teacher. I think so often it is just a personality conflict and not just a problem with the kid. I am just waiting for Jake's days in the principals office!

Joy said...

I totally agree. The more teachers my kids go through, the more I am convinced that a HUGE part of their success in any classroom depends on the personal relationship they can have with their teacher. So it is during the summer months that I spend a lot of time praying that they will have a great teacher (for them).